Translate

Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Welcome Back 2020!

Welcome back, and happy 2020. We hit the ground running last week for sure, and it felt great. Allow me to update you on what we have going on in our room...


Math:  This week we will focus on modeling subtraction of 9, 8, and 7 from teen numbers.


ELA:  Since we had a couple of weeks off, last week we had a Daily 5 Boot Camp. We spent the week reviewing and practicing one of the Daily 5 concepts- Read to Self, Work on Writing, Read to Someone, Word Work, and Listen to Reading.  This was just an opportunity to remember and practice the procedures we have set in place to become better readers and writers.  We will also began reading the story "The Mitten" by Jan Brett.  Next week we will read her story "The Hat" and do a little story comparison and focusing on character, problem and solution, and sequencing. Next week students will also choose an animal from one the stories to research and write a report about. This will coincide with our NatGeo stories for the next 4 weeks, which focus on animal movements.


Science and Social Studies:  This week we will learn all about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and what important role he played in American History. After that we will begin our science unit on balance and motion, or that is at least the plan for now. I will update you if the plan changes for science.



Meet Miss Llamas:  Miss Llamas will be joining us this semester in room 9 as our student teacher.  We are very excited to have her with us. I will let her introduce herself...

Hello everyone,  my name is Alyssa Llamas! Your kiddos call me Miss Llamas in the classroom. I’m studying to be an elementary school teacher at NAU. I am currently in the process of completing my student teaching, which is why I’m in Ms. Shaw’s room! I am super excited to be able to learn and grow along side your students for the next few months. I’ll be in the classroom everyday, helping and teaching until early May. It’s only been a week and your kids have already made such a huge impact on me!


Snacks Needed:  We are running very low on snacks and could use some snack donations. Please make sure to supply enough for 23 students if you are able to help. Thank you so much!


Dates to Remember:  A few days to mark on your calendar for this month:

  • Tuesday, January 14th - Chipotle fundraiser - 30% back to Marshall from 4-8pm. 
  • Monday, January 20th - School Closed for MLK day.

Hanukkah Celebration: Before we left for break we had our final holiday celebration. Hanukkah! The kids played dreidel and enjoyed latkes (most of them anyway). Again, thank you all who donated supplies and who came in and helped with this amazing day. Here are some pictures from our Hanukkah celebration.






I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate my families and all the kindness you showed to me before break. Thank you for everything, I love my families, these crazy kiddos, and my job. Anything else is extra icing, and I appreciate it. Can't wait to rock semester 2! - Ms. Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy May Room 9 Families! We have been hard at work and having so much fun. Here is what we have been up to, where we are at, and where we ...